Open and Transparent Management of Personal Information
Our staff are coached in the importance of recording and storing of personal information and this policy is available to all staff via our corporate intranet.
- WEST END MAZDA collects information necessary for customers to purchase new and used vehicles, their servicing, survey completion, buying preferences, marketing campaigns, vehicle financing, selling vehicle parts or accessories and contractual arrangements. This includes contact details, birth dates, information relating to purchasing and service requirements of vehicles and information as required under relevant state and federal laws.
- WEST END MAZDA collects most information directly from customers via telephone, web technologies, email and direct mail. Inquiries and leads from third parties containing contact details and buying preferences are also collected. Information is stored in paper documents, our in-house ERP and our in-house CRM systems. Information is forwarded to Mazda Australia as necessary for warranty and marketing purposes. When requested by customers to arrange finance we pass personal information to the financiers as per their requirements.
- An individual may access this information by contacting the WEST END MAZDA BDC on 02 9633 8300 or by emailing email@example.com.
- An individual may complain about a breach of the Privacy Principals by contacting the WEST END MAZDA BDC on 02 9633 8300 or by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
- WEST END MAZDA does not disclose personal information to overseas recipients
WEST END MAZDA respects the right of individuals to remain anonymous and / or using a pseudonym. However WEST END MAZDA is required by law to acquire personal information in relation to selling and servicing vehicles. Further formal contractual arrangements require adequate identification as per legal requirements.
Collection of Personal Information
- Non sensitive information - WEST END MAZDA has agency agreements with financiers and insurers and non- sensitive information is collected on their behalf only to the extent as reasonably necessary for the completion of our activities. An example is address details for CTP
- Sensitive information – includes information relating to a person’s ethnic or racial origin, political opinion, membership of political associations, religious beliefs or affiliations, membership of professional or trade associations, membership of a trade union, sexual orientation or practices, criminal records, genetic or health information. WEST END MAZDA will not collect sensitive information unless the individual consents and is required to effect agency transactions or is reasonably required to complete one of our activities. Collection of sensitive information may be collected when required or authorised by law or a court order.
- Means of Collection - WEST END MAZDA will collect personal information only by lawful and fair means. We usually collect information directly from the individual. Collection of information from third parties may occur when consent has been given or is required by law. Information may be obtained directly from third parties for our business activities when it is unreasonable or impractical to collect this information from the individual.
- Solicited Information shall be collected in accordance with this policy
Dealing with Unsolicited Personal Information
WEST END MAZDA will determine within a reasonable time whether this information could have been collected in accordance with our Collection of Personal Information policy. This information may be used for evaluation purposes. If the information could not have been collected in accordance with our Collection of Personal Information policy the information will be destroyed as soon as practical if lawful or reasonable to do so.
Notification of the Collection of Personal Information
WEST END MAZDA will notify the customer of our collection of information, as soon as practical, the following:
- WEST END MAZDA’s identity and contact details
- The fact that WEST END MAZDA collects such information in circumstances of collection from third parties or the individual may not be aware of our collection.
- The fact the collection is required by law if applicable
- The purpose of information collection
- Any consequences if the information is not collected
- Any other entities WEST END MAZDA will disclose the information to
- Whether WEST END MAZDA will disclose personal information to overseas recipients and if so which countries
To give effect to this each individual shall receive the following statement:
Use or Disclosure of Personal Information
WEST END MAZDA collects personal information primarily for the purposes of a motor dealership. WEST END MAZDA will not use this information for a secondary purpose unless the individual has given consent, the individual will have reasonable expectations, WEST END MAZDA is legally required or fulfilling statutory requirements. The customer record will be updated to record the following secondary statutory notifications
WEST END MAZDA will not use sensitive information unless the individual has given consent. WEST END MAZDA will not use personal information for direct marketing purposes unless WEST END MAZDA has collected this information and the individual has consented or would reasonably expect WEST END MAZDA to use this information for direct marketing purposes. WEST END MAZDA will provide a means of opting out of direct marketing activities and will not use personal information for direct marketing if so requested by the individual. WEST END MAZDA will update the customer record with the appropriate privacy code to reflect the individual’s choice of contact. WEST END MAZDA will provide personal information to third parties in circumstances of meeting contractual obligations. WEST END MAZDA will provide the identity of these third parties to the individual if so requested by the individual.
If an individual makes a request to alter how they receive communications or direct marketing WEST END MAZDA will give effect to this request within a reasonable period of time.
Cross Border Disclosure of Personal Information
WEST END MAZDA will ensure any overseas recipient of personal information does not breach Australian Privacy principals. This will not apply if WEST END MAZDA believes the recipient country has safeguards substantially similar to the Australian privacy principals or the individual has given express consent.
Adoption of Government Related Identifiers
- WEST END MAZDA will not use a government related identifier as a means of identifying the individual unless required by law.
- WEST END MAZDA will not disclose or use a government identifier unless required by law or reasonably necessary to verify the identity of the individual for business purposes.
Quality of Personal Information
WEST END MAZDA will take all reasonable steps to ensure that personal information is accurate, up to date and complete.
Security of Personal Information
- WEST END MAZDA will take all reasonable steps to protect personal information from
- misuse, interference and loss
- unauthorised access, modification or disclosure
- WEST END MAZDA will ensure only suitably trained and supervised staff process personal information. WEST END MAZDA will ensure computer systems holding personal information will have reasonable security safeguards.
- WEST END MAZDA will destroy and / or de-identify personal information if no longer required for the purpose for which it was collected unless there is a statutory requirement to retain such records.
Access to Personal Information
- WEST END MAZDA will supply to the individual details of their personal information if requested by that individual.
- WEST END MAZDA will not disclose personal information to an individual who has requested access if
- there is a reasonable expectation of a safety or security risk
- there would be an impact on the privacy of other individuals
- the request is frivolous or vexatious
- the information is related to legal proceedings
- the information would prejudice negotiations with the individual
- there is a legal constraint
- there is a reasonable expectation of unlawful activities or serious misconduct
- WEST END MAZDA will respond to a request for information within 30 days if acting as an agent and otherwise within a reasonable period. WEST END MAZDA will provide access to the information in the manner requested by the individual if reasonably practical or attempt to provide the information in a mutually acceptable way. Where mutual agreement is lacking a transcript or screen print will be provided to the individual. Due to safety issues involving motor vehicles and equipment the general public is not allowed access to areas not otherwise used by the public.
- WEST END MAZDA will not charge the individual for requesting their personal information. WEST END MAZDA will charge the individual a reasonable fee for supplying access to personal information.
- In the situation that WEST END MAZDA refuses access to personal information the individual will be provided written notice setting out the reasons for the refusal and how to make a complaint.
Correction of Personal information
- WEST END MAZDA will take all reasonable steps to ensure personal information is accurate, complete, current, relevant and not misleading. In the event WEST END MAZDA finds personal information deficient as described or an individual requests, WEST END MAZDA will take all reasonable steps to correct the information. WEST END MAZDA will take all reasonable steps to ensure personal information transferred to third parties and becomes incorrect shall be corrected.
- In the situation that WEST END MAZDA refuses to correct personal information the individual will be provided written notice setting out the reasons for the refusal and how to make a complaint. In this situation WEST END MAZDA will update the customer record to state the information is incorrect.
- WEST END MAZDA will respond to an individual’s request for corrections within 30 days if acting as an agent and in all other cases within a reasonable time.
- WEST END MAZDA will not charge the individual for correcting any personal information